Viktor, creator of 3DOPlay, has offered his time to introducing his changes to the FreeDO core into 4DO. A more complete list of the changes is:
- Timing fixes – a more proper fix for the “temporalfixes” setting in FreeDO’s original code
- Sprites in Doom are fixed
- Fonts and sound speed in Wicked 18 fixed
- Sound in games better, no bugs (some examples are Need For Speed, Escape from Monster Manor, Star Fighter, Slayer, Pyramid Intruder)
- Games work faster (some optimizations added)
- “Bad Slack Calc” error fixed
Thank you Viktor!
The internal timing improvements have various noticeable improvements in games. I noticed that lip syncing in Lost Eden is now working correctly. Some benefits/changes from 3DOPlay are not added. For example, Phoenix 3 currently still hangs at loading screens in 4DO.
In addition to this, I’ve added a few higher-level changes:
- In DirectX rendering, fixed diagonal pixel misalignment when using non-smoothed image resizing. – At certain window sizes, this was causing a “slice” down the diagonal at the center of the screen in which pixels were misaligned.
- 4DO now only emulates controllers/devices that have input bindings. For example, if you have only set up input bindings for controller #1, 4DO will only emulate one attached controller. This resolves the non-responsive controls in Super Wing Commander. However, if you create bindings for all 6 controllers, the game will produce this issue (perhaps the original game acted this way?).
If you want to try 4DO 18.104.22.168 beta, head to to the download page: